For the best results from your treatment
- Use moisturising cream at least once a day, moisturisers work by stopping the moisture escaping from the skin and electrolysis works better when the skin is not dry. For this reason moisturisers without a lot of additives and perfumes work better than fancy moisturisers on the market today. Astral is one of the best moisturising creams and is relatively inexpensive.
- Use sun blocker SPF 15 minimum on any area to be treated if it is to be exposed to the sun, this is especially important for clients who have sensitive and pigmented skin.
- Use exfoliating face wipes on any area to be treated if you have any dry skin, it can be helpful as new hair tries to push through the surface of the skin it can leave the skin surrounding area of the hair follicle to die and go hard making it difficult for the hair to push through and difficult for an electrolysis needle to smoothly insert.
- Drink at least 1 ½ to 2 ½ litres of water everyday, this the recommended minimum to keep the body healthy, but it also like the first point, will increase the moisture content of the skin, more moisture in the skin means less power is needed to destroy the follicle and therefore the more comfortable the experience, less trauma to skin and so a quicker time for the skin to recover.
- Get enough Sleep, Aim for 8-9 hours sleep a night, Sleep reduces inflammation and will reduce pain, Clients often report that lack of sleep lowers their pain threshold and has increased their discomfort during treatment. Other benefits:-It helps with skin problems such as psoriasis,eczema and acne and will increased willpower and help fend off cravings for fast food fixes which will also effect your skin and well being.
- Avoid caffeine or any stimulants on the day of treatment, it increases the activity of the nervous system and therefore magnifies any discomfort felt, most people ignore this advice, but when followed, clients report that it really can make a difference to their experience.
- Avoid low blood sugar, make sure you have had something to eat before you come, again increases sensitivity and therefore magnifies any discomfort.
- Avoid rushing prior to your appointment, make sure you arrive with plenty of time to allow yourself time to relax. When you are under pressure the nervous system is stimulated, and this in turn will determine how comfortable the treatment will be.
It is normal to be nervous the first time you come for treatment but our aim is to make your experience with us a pleasure, and one you look forward to having rather than dreading so you should think of it as your time for a lie down and relax and let the stresses in your life evaporate away, some of our clients have told us that taking a pain killer or apply topical anaesthesia creams shortly before they come to see us has helped to make them less sensitive but this is normally not necessary.
Skin Care Pre Treatment:
We use an antibacterial lotion to cleanse the skin before we start but try not to wear make-up prior to arriving for treatment, however if you do, please try and remove it before treatment, we can supply cover up make-up which is anti-bacterial and can be used immediately after treatment if required, which will not cause any irritation or infection to treated area.
Skin Care Post Treatment:
After treatment, we will apply an AloeVera gel or Yi-Zhi Baume cream, also we offer Cataphoresis after care treatment.
Your Part, Home care instructions:
As electrolysis is a surgical procedure you can expect redness and perhaps raised bumps straight after treatment which last an hour or so. Pinprick scabs may appear the day after, which should not be picked. They will rub off within a week or so when the skin has healed. On the body, especially the stomach and thighs, you may get very red dots where the hair has been removed. Again these will fade, usually within a week or so. You will receive aftercare gel to help the skin heal, although in the vast majority of cases the redness and bumpiness will disappear in a few hours. You may find some treated areas a little sore or itchy the following day.
Please follow these instructions
- Avoid the sun
- Avoid strenuous exercise
- Avoid anything that will increase skin temperate such as hot tubs, UV lamps
- Don’t put make-up on treated areas for 24 hours, (see note below)
- keep treated area clean
- use sunscreen at all times
- apply AloeVera gel at least two times a day.
- if you must wear make-up then ask us about our specially formulated cover up make-up designed for use after a session or use an antibiotic ointment first to protect the area
If any of theses conditions effect you, please inform your electrologist.
- Heart disease, pacemaker or electronic implant.
- Viral hepatitis or AIDS.
- Cancerous lesions.
- Absence of sensory perception or numbness.
- Metallic implants.
If have been prescribed these drugs you will not be able to have treatment for 12 months
- Retin A
Please note you will not be able to have any treatment if you are pregnant, have Hepatitis, HIV, electronic implants, bruising, recent scarring, cuts or abrasions, active dermatitis, active herpes simplex and other similar conditions. If you are currently on Roaccutane/Accutane(TM) or have taken this oral acne treatment within the last year you will not be able to have treatment as your skin may react badly. If you are diabetic you will not be able to have any treatment on your hands, feet or lower legs.
Electrolysis is not a quick fix, but regular appointments will result in permanent hair loss THAT WILL LAST YOUR ENTIRE LIFE unlike any other form of hair removal.